Damascus – al-Bimaristan al-Nuri
دمشق – البيمارستان النوري

al-Bimaristan al-Nuri (البيمارستان النوري) was originally a hospital and medical teaching center, established by Nur al-Din Mahmoud Zenki (نور الدين محمود زنكي) in 1154. The building served this role until the construction of the National Hospital in the 19th century. Today, it houses an interesting museum dedicated to the history of Arab science and medicine. The building is remarkable for its architecture, with an elaborately decorated entryway revealing Mesopotamian influences. The courtyard has beautifully decorated stonework, a central fountain, and a large iwan on the eastern side. There is a modest entrance fee to visit the museum.

 

Getting There: al-Bimaristan al-Nuri (البيمارستان النوري) is located just south of the central area of al-Hamidiyeh Market (سوق الحميدية), on the western side of the old city of Damascus (دمشق). It is a short walk west of Qasr al-Azem (قصر العظم) and southwest of the Umayyad Mosque (الجامع الاموي).

Coordinates: 33°30’37.00″N / 36°18’13.00″E

Transliteration Variants: al-Bimaristan al-Nouri

Rating (5 / 10)

Leave a Reply