Damascus – al-Madrasa al-Rukniyeh
دمشق – المدرسة الركنية

al-Madrasa al-Rukniyeh (المدرسة الركنية), also known as al-Rukniyeh Mosque (جامع الركنية), is a religious school and mausoleum that dates back to the Ayyubid period. The building, as well as the residential neighborhood to the northeast, is named after Rukn al-Din Mankuris al-Faliki al-Aadili (ركن الدين منكورس الفلكي العادلي). He was a servant and companion of Falik al-Din Suleiman al-Aadili (فلك الدين سليمان العادلي), who was the half brother of al-Aadil Seif al-Din Abu Bakr Bin Ayoub (العادل سيف الدين أبو بكر بن أيوب). al-Aadil (العادل) was the eventual successor of Salah al-Din Yousef Bin Ayoub (صلاح الدين يوسف بن أيوب‎), ruling over parts of Syria and Egypt for several decades.

Contained within a domed burial chamber is the tomb of Rukn al-Din Mankuris (ركن الدين منكورس), dated to 1224. The long inscription on the tomb praises his humility, kindness and generosity as well as his religious faith. The interior also features a small prayer hall. The northern façade is decorated with geometric stonework and Arabic inscriptions over the windows and doorway. The building was reconstructed in recent decades, the minaret being a modern addition. Today serving as a mosque, the building is open during regular prayer times.

 

Getting There: al-Madrasa al-Rukniyeh (المدرسة الركنية) is located in the Damascus (دمشق) district of al-Salhiyeh (الصالحية), to the far northwest of the old city on the slopes of Jebel Qasioun (جبل قاسيون). It is about a twenty-five minute walk to the site from the city center. See the map below for the exact location.

Coordinates: 33°32’05.00″N / 36°17’39.00″E

Transliteration Variants: al-Madrasa al-Rukniye

Rating (3 / 10)

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: